I got back from an amazing trip to Boston and Cape Cod this afternoon! I had a blast with my family, but totally missed my husband who was unable to come. He is amazing and while I was away redid the floors and painted our bedroom (pictures to come)!!
I was so incredibly grateful that I decided to make a romantic dinner. This chicken concoction is what I came up and it turned out to be pretty delicious. I apologize in advance for my lack of strict measuring, but you’ll get the basic gist. Cooking is more fun when there’s a level of creativity, right? 🙂
Makes 4 “Roll Ups”
- 2 Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breasts
- 1 Cup of Cottage Cheese
- 2ish Cups of Spinach
- 4 Slices of Canadian Bacon
- Shredded Cheese
- Onion as desired
- Spices/Seasoning as desired
1. Preheat the oven to 350 degrees and spray or grease a Pyrex baking pan. Any size pan will work as long as it can fit your roll ups.
2. Sauté onions and garlic to get a nice flavor going and then add about 1/2 a bag of frozen spinach. Season with your favorite spices. Tweak this step based on how you like your spinach!
3. Once the spinach is cooked (and tasty) dump it into a bowl and mix with about 1 cup of cottage cheese.
4. Next you’ll want to prepare the chicken. I am not at all good at “butchering” meat, but here’s what I did. I trimmed all the fat from each breast. Then I “butterflied” the breast to the best of my ability. I also pounded the chicken a bit to thin it out.
5. This is the fun part! Cut each butterflied breast in half to make 4 different pieces. Season the chicken with salt, pepper and any other chicken seasoning that you enjoy.
6. Place the Canadian bacon on one end of the breast and a scoop of filling in the middle. Roll the breast and use a toothpick to hold it closed.
7. Place each “roll up” into the greased Pyrex. I found it easiest to use a spatula. I also sprinkled some more seasoning (I used italian seasoning) and shredded cheese on top.
8. Bake for about 20-25 minutes or until the chicken is cooked through. It should be golden brown and the cheese should be melted.
I promise I will get better at taking pictures as I go! This chicken was so tasty and simple to make, but super healthy too. I hope you give it a try!
I used to hate cottage cheese but have learned to love it! What’s your favorite cottage cheese recipe?
Love and gratitude,